Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Printing hands are happy hands


I started my linoleum block printing class last week. Tonight was my second class, and I spent most of the time printing this image of my cat Violet. I had carved it over the past week (it's based on a photo that my friend Donald took years ago) so I could spend tonight's valuable studio time just printing it. I think linocut is going to be a new addiction for me. I'm anxious to do more.

I'm trying to cram as much fun and interest into these few weeks before radiation starts. I don't expect to feel bad from radiation, but it will be a daily chore. I've joined Zip Car, a car sharing service, so I'll be able to drive myself to and from my radiation treatments.

I know many of my readers would like to know more about my cancer. It's not a topic that I enjoy discussing very much, but here's what I know: my cancer is a fairly rare type called "Merkel cell" or "neuroendocrine cell" carcinoma. There are only about 1500 cases diagnosed each year in the US. Merkel cells and neuroendocrine cells refer to the same cell type. These aid touch receptors in the skin, but Merkel cells exist throughout the body, especially in the lymph system. Generally, this type of cancer is first noticed on the skin, but in my case it was not noticed until it had metastasized, so its primary origin is unknown. (Believe me, at my age and with my skin type, I have a dermatologist go over me from head to toe each year, so you think we would have seen it, but it apparently is often mistaken for some other skin condition, and sometimes remains undetected even when a suspected lesion is biopsied.) If you want to know more about this cancer, there is a ton of information here. If you read up, you'll understand why it is so important to me to enjoy myself now, while I feel good.

Today was a lovely day, apart from my printing class. I started out with lunch at Nieman Marcus in the Rotunda restaurant (cucumber martini and a lobster club sandwich) and then went shopping in every designer sportswear department of every big store downtown. I didn't buy anything at those stores, as it turns out, but it was an important exercise for me, since I don't really keep abreast of current fashions. It gave me an idea of what was out there this season (and the subway ride gave me time to evaluate which of those trends were ridiculous for a 52-year-old man to consider wearing). I came home rather discouraged that I hadn't bought anything, but decided to stop in at Rollo, a men's clothing store just a couple of blocks from my apartment. I ended up buying everything I needed there. :)

I leave for NYC on Sunday night. I'm very excited to fly first class for the first time.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info and the updates! Can't wait to see you and the new duds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the luxury of flying first class. I'm sure you will see celebrities of some sort. Enjoy the time in NYC. You deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember that drinks are free in first class! So is the food. They'll take your coat as you're getting seated and ask if you want complimentary coffee or juice. So while the peons in tourest are paying $3 for a bag of potato chips, you'll be snubbing your nose at them. Ha! actually it's kind of embarrasing since you're seated first and then you have to look at the poor tourist board after you are comfortable and enjoying a free beverage. Enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The print does does look good - more to come on your return!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The print does look great - more to come when you return! Have fun....which I am sure you will and well dressed at that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Robert: your print is AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete