Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Home Again, home again


This is the view from Donald's bedroom in Manhattan (looking east from Amsterdam). Notice the twin towers of the San Remo apartment building (where Stephen Sondheim lived as a boy) on the right, and just to the left of center, the plant leaf seems to point to the tower of the Carlyle Hotel. On the extreme left you see one of the turrets of the Natural History Museum.

This was one of my most enjoyable visits to New York ever. It was without a doubt the spendiest, between my shopping for clothes in the meatpacking district and having dinner at Jean-Georges (where my niece Alison and I were both cruised by Martha Stewart), and flying first class on Virgin America. However, I didn't do my usual theater-going marathon. The trip was planned around the date of the 80th birthday concert for Sondheim (it was great!), but I didn't have advance tickets for anything else. Near the end of the week, Donald and I decided to use some of the discount coupons he gets by belonging to the Theater Development Fund for tickets to "Next Fall" and "A Behanding in Spokane". We quite enjoyed both plays.

A great discovery this trip was a new gelato store in Donald's neighborhood: Grom. It was as good as any gelato I had in Italy and I tried to eat it at every opportunity.

With all the nice weather, we did a lot of walking and I think I might have lost a little weight despite the gelato and the expensive French food. Guess I'll have to eat a lot of lunches out to gain those pounds back. No problem.

I came home to annoyed, but affectionate cats, and a big pile of mail.

Tomorrow I go to the radiation oncologist again for a pre-radiation CT scan and to get tattooed (just little pin dots) so they know how to position the radiation beamer thingy when I go for treatments, which I assume will commence next week.

7 comments:

  1. Glad your home and had a great time in NYC! I hope the radiation treatments go by quickly and without a hitch! By a Grom franchise and open it in the Mission......

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a wonderful time in NYC and that Alison was able to join you. I am sure you are happy to be home, even if the cats are upset for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm....gelato.... Glad you had fun and are home safely. Have a good time at the "tattoo artist!" Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I got home I heard something about "by the directors (or producers or someone affiliated with) of The Squid and the Whale" and I told Jesse, "Where did I just hear about that!?!" :) Then I remembered. How funny that I heard it twice in a few days without ever hearing it before! :) Glad you are home safely and I hope everything goes smoothly and quickly with radiation. Love, me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, as a former "Vaux" I must join the above clan of Vauxes and wish you well on the radiation venture. Thanks so much for showing Alison such a good time! I'll be seeing her next week in DC. Looking forward to retiring next year and having fun with you too! Love, Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just caught up on the latest posts. You've been making great use of this lull between appointment juggling!

    Joe and I are eager to enjoy some delicious food with you sometime, just let us know. Lunch is usually easy for me and there are some great places down by his office.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear you're trip was fun and the first class accommodation was enjoyed. You deserve it. C'mon. You can get a more creative tatoo than that suggested. Have them make some big ole red lips parted ever so slightly!

    ReplyDelete