Sunday, June 6, 2010

One year ago today


I was glancing through my flickr stream and noticed the date on this photo. Exactly one year ago. It's hard to imagine a time before...well...before, but here's the evidence.

I seem to have hit a wall on my energy level. It's discouraging, but I'm trying to react to it only by resting and eating well, and making myself take at least one short walk a day. After my Tuesday appointment with Dr. Liu I'll know if I should be worried about this slow return to vigor.

Robert hosted a family night dinner the other night, and I made a coconut layer cake from scratch for it. In the old days, I could have done that, prepared a whole dinner and cleaned my apartment and hosted the dinner all in the same day. As it is now, making the cake and walking the few blocks to Roberts pretty much shot my wad. Even worn out as I was, it was nice to have a social event to attend and to see everyone.

At one point soon after the kids had arrived, everyone was crowded in the kitchen. It was the usual family night pandemonium that I love. Robert was cooking, Holly and Emily were chatting, Cito was trying to do something on the kitchen computer and Della was wandering around the kitchen holding a rubber spatula and looking for something to get into. Rene wasn't arriving until dessert, so I was keeping an eye on Della, making sure she stayed away from the stove, etc. This involved talking to her constantly over the din, so she'd know that she was being observed. Suddenly, she walked up to me and without making a sound, took me by the hand and pulled me off the kitchen stool toward a clear patch of floor space. We stood there holding hands for a moment. I assumed she wanted me to lift her for a somersault off my shoulders, but then I noticed that she was moving her feet like a tap dancer and grinning at me. (I often tap dance for her to distract her from getting fussy, or just as something to do when we walk down the street.) This is the grin she had on her face:



I know some of my readers must think I'm irrationally fond of this little girl, but come on! How can you resist a child that does that for you? I would have had a lot harder time this past several months without her and Cito brightening the corners.

3 comments:

  1. God, she's cute. You're a lucky man. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fulfilling and satisfying day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Baby, thinking of you today. xoxoxox.

    ReplyDelete