Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Craniotomy, Resection, Stereotactic Biopsy.... Whatever you call it, it's on for tomorrow!

These are the three options Dr. Lavery offered today when Robert and I met with him:
  • another small aspiration like last time
  • an aspiration with a permanent shunt in my head leading to a tube that drains to my abdomen
  • a stereotactic biopsy where he'll cut from the front of the mass/fluid sac to avoid going into the "control core" of my central cortex and "peel off" the sac and get out without causing excess bleeding
As I've stated, I'm not interested in enduring another procedure for limited benefit. The shunt idea repulses me. I don't think it's a good idea to have brain tumor fluid seeping into the rest of my body, perhaps spreading cancer cells. So I'm going the third route tomorrow at 2:30 PM. I'm expecting to come home before the weekend is over.

Robert will broadcast updates via the yahoo UnkaDee group. until I can resume blogging. Until then, it's been a very long day, and I need to relax. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Thinking of you Dennis! Vanessa and I are hoping your brain surgery goes smoothly and your recovery speedy! xoxo Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. I know you will be fine and I will be thinking positively about it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck Dennis. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WTF? Your Thanksgiving will suck (literally) and we will be thinking good thoughts!
    Love, Tim & Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love and healing, Sweetpea. That's from me and Anto. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending lots of love and healing vibes your way! xoxox

    ReplyDelete