Friday, November 19, 2010

Mixed news


Today I saw Dr. Liu. It was a good news/bad news sort of visit.

The good news:
--Yesterday's PET scan didn't show any cancer in my body.

The bad news:

-- The MRI showed that the tumor that remains in my brain has gotten much larger and has a lot of inflammation around it. This explains why my arm has shut down and why my left leg is now threatened.

-- I have to double my Decadron dose for now to try to reduce the inflammation.

-- The Decadron has turned me diabetic. I had to meet with a diabetes counselor to learn how to test my blood sugar and give myself insulin injections. Like I needed something else to keep track of, and another medication. I'm going too have to pay close attention to what I eat. No sweets. No juices. No soda. No booze. Not too many carbs. Hoping this high blood sugar will go away when I stop taking that damn devil drug.

Hopeful news:

Dr. Liu thinks Dr Lavery will want to move quickly on the new surgery. I'm not that excited about spending Thanksgiving in the hospital, but if that's what it takes, oh well.

All in all, I'm pretty devastated this time. A person can only take so much, but I'm doing my best to adjust to the new situation. Kevin got to witness me having several meltdowns today, especially after we got home and I tried to practice the whole blood sugar testing/insulin taking. The tools for these things are not really designed for a person with only one functioning hand
and it was quite frustrating at first. After lunch, I was a little calmer and practiced with greater success.

Kevin has a visitor from Japan until Wednesday, so anyone who wants to take me grocery shopping and help me with my meals is my savior.

All hugs are welcome,

11 comments:

  1. Dennis, can you have oxtail soup or borscht? I was going to make soup this weekend and planned to ask if I could bring some by since it's so dreary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear the bad news part. I wish we lived closer so we could help. Our prayers are with you.
    Love, Tim & Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well sweetie...try to focus on the "good news" and on what you are grateful for..thinking of you and sending prayers and big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still with you, Dennis - ongoing support from about 5000 miles away on the other side of the Atlantic. I'm sure distance strengthens it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you accept virtual hugs! Best of luck getting through this.

    --Ted F.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am keeping positive thoughts and sending loads of love your way.
    Love. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. big hugs - I know it's so hard for you, but am just so happy there is a treatment plan - much love to you and your friends helping out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sucky about the decadron -- I am rooting for it to effectively combat the swelling super quickly so you can maintain as much limb function as possible. Sorry to hear about the pseudo-diabetes, but if you've mastered Junie's shots one handed, I have confidence that you will figure out an effective system for yourself. You continue to amaze me with the things you are able to do, despite physical set backs. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete