Thursday, December 17, 2009

Retail Therapy


I've loved having the Christmas tree this week, especially late at night, when I turn out all the other house lights and just look at the tree and listen to my iPod.

My third infusion this week will be on Christmas Eve, so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to feel on Christmas Day. I've asked Kevin and the Garcias to stop by for a couple hours, and I have decided to amp up my holiday cheer by surrounding the tree with wrapped presents for them and even some for myself from myself. (My rule about Christmas gifts for the last few years is that I only get them for people I actually spend the holiday with.) To that end, I set out today in a beautiful, air-cleaned-by-yesterday's-rain, sunny and warm San Francisco day. I walked along 16th to Valencia, up to Market and then up Octavia Boulevard to Hayes. I shopped only in small, interesting stores and got some really good stuff. I was walking and shopping for two hours which is a lot for me, but it felt good.

About 30 years ago, at the first Christmas my brother hosted in Canada, where he lived for a few years, my family adopted the English tradition of having Christmas crackers at the Christmas dinner table. I saw these really beautiful ones at Miette in Hayes Valley and couldn't resist. I don't think Cito knows about Christmas crackers, so it will be fun to introduce him to them.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure Cito will love them. Evan will enjoy them this year too. Ali is going to have lunch with Tim, Jim and me on Tues. Will get to see Jesse before he goes back to DC on Wed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered to get my Christmas crackers last weekend. Almost forgot. Evan will also wonder what it's all about.
    Enjoy your holiday and I hope you aren't too ughy feeling.
    Jim and I will get up there after Christmas/New Year? When's a good date for you?
    Love, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see that we've exported something westward over the Atlantic, Dennis, most of the traffic is eastward. Enjoy Christmas with your crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be thinking of you on Christmas Eve and I hope you enjoy the presents (including the gifts you from you to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey just so you know whimmer is me (Karen K.)..I always forget we have whimmer as our email account. One of the wonderful horses we owned - actually it was Whimsey, short "whimmer"

    ReplyDelete