Thursday, December 31, 2009

The virtues of self-reward


As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I am once again ugh-free, and I took full advantage of it yesterday, intending merely to walk a couple blocks down the street to Artist's Xchange (a consignment shop for local artists), buy a small piece of art for myself and return home.

I ended up buying this incredible linocut print done by printmaker Katie Gilmartin. Don't ya love it? It came fully matted to 16"x 20".

Anyhoo, even though I had warned myself about overdoing, once I'd bought the print, I needed a frame for it, and Flax Art Supply was only another six or seven blocks away, so I hoofed it with my new acquisition under my arm. The weather was alternating between chilly overcast and sunny muggy and I was dressed in many layers, so the sunny parts made me a little heatolated. By the time I had purchased the frame and was within 3 blocks of returning home, I was huffing and puffing, like the little engine that could: "I think I can. I think I can". The entire outing lasted more than an hour. I was done in, but content, and wearing myself out like that gave me a really satisfying night's sleep last night.

Despite the good night's sleep, I awoke feeling some residual fatigue. Karen came and picked me up to take me to Kaiser for my blood draw (I passed again. No more Neuopogen shots until 1/16), and then we went to the Garcias where Della was just waking up from her morning nap. Karen read Cito a book. Holly finished a conference call for work. René and I watched Della and tried to keep her from destroying anything, and from scrambling out of sight (she's fast). Then we all went to lunch at Green Chile Kitchen. When I got home, Robert was passing by on foot and stopped in to visit for a bit.

Now I feel really worn out, and probably won't be awake to see in the official New Year, but I wish you all a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2010. Not that it will take much for me personally, but I have a feeling it's going to be a much nicer year than 2009.

Happy New Year everyone!

2 comments:

  1. And a Happy New Year to you, Dennis. John and I have just returned from seeing the movie, It's Complicated...love that Meryl Streep! We'll take an evening walk, and that's it for us old farts! Love you...K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Amira came over and we ate chips and salsa and hummus and veggies and watched CNN bc Kathy & Anderson crack me up!! Jesse got home around 1140 and we got to seal the new year with a kiss! Happy 2010!! Love, me.

    ReplyDelete