Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Round 4 - Day 1

I was my own chemo buddy today and went on the scooter with my iPod and a book. David was my nurse today and told me some patients are able to prevent the neuropathy by taking glutamine supplements. It comes in a powdered form that you mix into a shake or a smoothie. Bodybuilders use it. He discussed it with Dr. Liu, who agreed it wouldn't harm me. He doesn't personally recommend it to his patients because there are no studies supporting its use to prevent chemo-related neuropathy. Since it won't harm me, and since there are abundant sources of glutamine powder in the Castro (lots of stores catering to the muscularly-inclined), I'll give it a go.

I was fine going to chemo by myself on the scooter. I just wish the temperature hadn't dropped 15-20 degrees over the last few days. I was freezing on the way home, notwithstanding all the layers I'd dressed in.

Now I can feel the bloat setting in. I've decided not to attend René's art show reception. It's too cold out and there will be too many people that might be carrying germs. I'll stop by and look at the art some evening soon when the gallery isn't quite so full and I'm not quite so germ-permeable.

1 comment:

  1. See you on the 12th. Will Rene's show still be on? We can PBE (play it by ear) depending upon how you feel. Looking forward to your "Mr. America" body from the glutamine! :-) Love, me

    ReplyDelete