Saturday, January 16, 2010

Guess what showed up in yesterday's mail


That's right: my old passport, mailed Wednesday from the self-same Social Security office I visited in a panic on Monday where they claimed no knowledge of it. Came with my original 2008 W2, and my last 2009 paystub (other documents their form insisted needed to be seen in their originals, but didn't, as it turns out) and a form letter with none of the sender's information filled in in the blanks provided for it.

I scanned the form letter and emailed it to the SS employee I'd been dealing with and told her that something was broken with their system and that though in dealing with me, she had been extremely professional and courteous, her inability to find my passport when it was sitting there somewhere in her office cost me $160.00 to replace my passport, untold stress, and exposure to multiple crowded waiting rooms which is not good for chemotherapy patients. When I got out of chemo yesterday, I had a long rambling voice mail from her on my mobile, apologizing and explaining (over and over) that she had asked the person who turned out to have it point blank if she had it, and she claimed not to. She clearly didn't understand that their system of locating important personal documents shouldn't depend on some other employee being in the mood to do her job or not hating the coworker asking her a question. Ah well. I can't use this passport because it's been reported lost and I'll send it to the Passport Agency as soon as I get my replacement, but at least it's nice to know I'm safe (I hope) from identity theft from this episode.

Woke up early again today. No rain yet, so I've been able to get out for two walks, one longish and one shortish. I returned a book to the library, and had some keys duplicated for my future catsitters at Cliff's Hardware. I feel the slight beginnings of the ugh, but nothing too bad yet. Metallic taste in my mouth and the beginnings of bloat are the only things so far.

1 comment:

  1. for crispy crying out loud! The incompetence! The indifference! The whole ordeal!

    ReplyDelete