Sunday, January 31, 2010

Public Display


Rene was asked to contribute to a "pop-up" art show at 1035 Market this weekend and borrowed the portrait I commissioned since he didn't have many readymade pieces in his studio that could be said to fit the theme of the show, which was a combination of art, fashion, and ephemera entitled "Man Up". We (Rene, his sister Cathy, and Renecito) went to check it out last evening. I'm glad the show is just for the weekend, because I miss the painting terribly. I have a big orange blank spot on my bedroom wall.

It's been a rather busy week. Every day I feel better and more recovered from chemo. The only thing, other than my hair, that hasn't come back yet is my energy level. I find that I still need to doze in the armchair for at least an hour every afternoon. I haven't been blogging because I've mostly just been taking care of mundane chores. However, I guess that's kind of a nice change from scheduling everything around chemo. Here's the summary of my big accomplishments this week:
  • went to Kaiser optometry for an eye exam and new eyeglass prescription
  • had lunch downtown with Kevin, picked out new glasses at Optical Underground, bought underwear
  • took Violet for her dental procedure (she's fine, but we have a new vet and she is perhaps a bit ... thorough She expects me to dose Violet twice a day for two weeks with antibiotic pills. So far, she's swallowed one and spit two out. I only struggle with her so many times and then give up)
  • went to the gallery to see my painting on public display
  • had dinner at the Garcias with Holly, Della, Robert, Kevin and Emily while Rene, Cito and Cathy went to the motocross show at AT&T Park.
I think I had lunch at a restaurant every day, which afforded me the opportunity to walk, and got me out of the apartment. It's been rather chilly and rainy here and I tend to want to stay in the chair under my throw and read the letters of Virginia Woolf. However I lost most of the sensation in the sole of my left foot with this last chemo round, and I really needed to walk every day to get it to stop hurting. I think the muscles needed to get used to the lack of sensory input from the foot. Now I think everything has adjusted as much as it can. I have to be a little extra-conscious of that foot's placement when I stand and walk, but no more soreness.

Della can walk up to three steps before collapsing!

My new passport arrived!

1 comment: