Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving


I haven't been blogging because my friend for almost 40 years, Meg, is visiting from Seattle. We've just been walking around the neighborhood and visiting with the Garcias, and mostly hanging here in my apartment watching TV and chatting. Tomorrow we'll be dining at Da Flora with the Bufords who are coming up from Santa Barbara tomorrow.

Overall, my health is good. Most of the feeling in my foot has come back. I have some joint pain and I still suffer from bloating. I find that now I have to keep to the several small meals regimen even when I'm not feeling the full effects of the chemo. I tried to eat like a normal person on Sunday and paid bitterly for it that night. Not fun. My energy level has been pretty good, despite these minor ills, and I'm all ready for Thanksgiving. My hair continues to thin, but at a fairly slow rate. Thanks to a visit from Vicky on Saturday, I have even more hand-made headgear to keep my poor plucked pate warm.

My assigned dishes for the holiday at the Garcias are two kinds of cranberries: an orange-ginger-cranberry relish and the traditional smooth jelly kind that I've been making for Thanksgiving ever since I saw Martha Stewart do it on her TV show. I'll also be making a "mincemeat" pie (it doesn't have meat or any of that nasty glacé fruit that most mincemeat recipes have - it's just apples and dried fruits). It's going to be hard to restrain my appetite, since Thanksgiving fare is some of my favorite food, but I don't wish to visit the vomitorium again, so I'm certain I'll be able to avoid gluttony.

Have a lovely holiday, Gentle Reader. I probably won't post again until the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Have the best time!!! Wish we could celebrate together. We are still trying to decide if we are going to Ithaca as snow is in the forecast for Friday =/ I had a blast hosting a few years ago so it is so hard to not be making cranberry sauce or sweet potato delight (tastes like cake!) this year. :( Love you! Talk to you Friday!!! Love, me.

    ReplyDelete